Monday, June 27, 2011

Sauce Recipe - BBQ Sauce

Sometimes you just crave those wonderful summer treats that every one else seems to have and with no worries. All of us doing The Gluten Free Experience know that we can't let our guard down when it comes to sauces so I've almost perfected this recipe to the point that I don't think it could get any better.

It's rich, thick, tangy, a bit spicy and wonderful on so many things... chicken for the grill and more for dipping springs to mind almost instantly.

I have one old photo to share of some chicken I made like 3years ago but it's only the beginning of summer this year, I'm sure there will be a chance to make this sauce before it's over and I'll revisit it when I do. Hmmm... I even think I have some wonderful little drummies in the freezer just begging to be defrosted and thrown on the grill!

Original Recipe from Glutenfreeda
original recipe was altared to include dijon mustard and honey in order to make it a 'honey mustard' version
Ingredients
Dry
 1/2 cup brown sugar
 2 Tablespoons chili powder
 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
 1 Tablespoon onion powder
 2 teaspoons garlic powder
 2 teaspoons celery salt
 Dash of cayenne pepper
Wet
 2 cups ketchup
 1 heaping TBS honey
 1/8 cup dijon mustard
 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
 3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

Directions - This couldn't be easier if you tried!
Combine the brown sugar and all dry spices in a kettle big enough to hold 4 cups... make sure to mix them very well until you can't tell which spice was which and the brown sugar is mixed through. Then add all wet ingredients. (I've even gotten to the stage that I've made this enough times that I just throw everything into 1 pot, give it a really really good mix up instead of separating the dry vs the wet ingredients)

Heat over a VERY low heat for about 15mins. Then use as you wish! It's great for anything you would put BBQ sauce on! My personal favs are chicken and beans! (mmmm beans.... hamburger... bbq sauce... I feel another recipe coming on!).

Suggestions
 Marinate chicken, beef or pork over night and grill (works well instantly too but will give a better and deeper flavor if left to marinate over night... remember to refrigerate!)
 Put still warm in a dipping cup and make home-made chicken strips or nuggets to dip (will post a recipe at some point for these)
 ♥  Post a comment with your suggestion!

No comments:

Post a Comment