Friday, September 9, 2011

Cat Food - Gluten Free!

Did you know it's been researched that quite a number of beloved cats and dogs have food allergies? Even as much as being gluten intolerant themselves? It's true! So much so that now a days you are even finding gluten free, soy free, dairy free and what not pet foods.

I have 2 wonderful little kitties... ok not so little but still wonderful and always into things. Normally I buy them whiskers but I got this little sample bag of cat food in the post a little while back and gave it to them as a 'treat'. Needless to say that the 1 small bag (which still nearly filled their kitty dish) was gone within minutes. They always have hard food to munch on so it's not like they were starving or it was 'meal time' or something. They found it good, they liked it and found it indeed to be a treat.

With that I decided that I would get some more. I never took note of the information ON the package though except what the name was and what flavour. In this case chicken and yes my cats seem to very much have the same fondness for fish and poultry over beef, pork or even lamb that my husband and I share. Strange how our pets seem to match us so well when we have them isn't it?

So the next trip to the store and I bought a bag. When bringing it home and showing my husband he pointed out the top of the bag to me. Gluten Free he said out loud... I didn't hear it at first and he tapped me on the shoulder and ask if I did this purposely and I assured him I didn't and explain to him about the little sample package. He again then, now pointing to the top of the bag like an excited 10 year old 'I found it' excitement, and read gluten free! Ok now I understood what he said and indeed the top of the bag says gluten free but not only that but also soy free (they were marked together for some reason) and on top of it meant to help the digestive and urinary tract. Damn... ok for the cost, I can say this was well worth it at least for this family of humans and cats!


So here is another photo of the full bag. It's called Perfect Fit (sorry a rounded bag with the name sideways on the side doesn't make for a very good photo op). This one as mentioned is chicken (kip in nederlands) but I'm sure they must have more flavours.


Some signs to watch out for if you DOG might have food allergies
  • Itchy skin
  • Shaking of the head
  • Ear inflammation
  • Licking front paws
  • Rubbing face on carpet
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Flatulence
  • Sneezing
  • Asthma like symptoms
  • Anal itching
  • Behavioural changes
  • Seizures

Some signs to watch out for if you CAT might have food allergies
  • Non seasonal itching, especially on the front half of the body, head, face, ears & neck.
  • The ears may also be swollen & or infected
  • Hair loss (due to excessive scratching, grooming etc)
  • Vomiting & or diarrhoea

Remember though, these are just signs... only your vet for sure can tell for sure if it's a food allergy or another type of allergy (such as dust or even pollen). If you think your beloved pet might have an allergy of any kind and could use some help, contact your vet, make an appointment for allergy testing and get your pet the relief they need. You wouldn't want to live with something like this and not be able to tell someone something is bothering you, would you?? Your pet simply can't tell you verbally so be his or her eyes and ears when it comes to discomfort... you know your pet better then any one and will know when something isn't quite right.

No comments:

Post a Comment